Wednesday, August 6, 2008

HHF Intern Vika Tsoy shows her creative side with "The Girl in Pink Dress"

Most of you are probably familiar with flamenco, salsa and other types of traditional Spanish dances, and I am sure many of you know how to dance! Unfortunately I never learned how to, and the best I can do to show my appreciation to the culture is to draw them. Therefore, being influenced by vibrant colors, strong movements and the general beauty of the dance, I wanted to illustrate whatever I had in mind.

Before I started drawing “The Girl in Pink Dress” I made some research on traditional southern Spanish folklore. First I looked at a lot of references (books, magazines, etc), I also watched videos of Spanish dancers, and did some sketches of various Spanish dresses. As soon as the final sketch was done, I experimented with different color combinations and patterns in order to make the dress look like a real Flamenco dress! I was really proud of the final product. I hope you guys like it as much I do.

That’s all for now! Feel free to email me vika@hispanicheritage.org and share your
opinions about t
he illustration. Thanks!



No comments: