Thursday, August 14, 2008

MY CHURCH AND MY HARMONIA CHOIR FAMILY!!!! by Shelbie Bruce

I’m proud to announce that my church “Our Lady of Lourdes” is celebrating its 50th Anniversary of service to the community. We will have many events in remembrance of 50 wonderful years.

When my family and I moved to LA about 7 years ago, one of our first priorities was to find a church. Little did we know, the incredible church God had in store for us. There where two small needs we prayed to God for though: First, to be able to find a church that allowed children in its choir, since my brother and I love to sing and second, my mother wanted a church that had afternoon services. Well, we knew that God had a sense of humor, when after a few weeks of searching for the right church, my dad found us “Our Lady of Lourdes”. The only church in the area that its choir “only” sang on Sundays at the 5:30pm mass. Was that God or what!!!

Many churches have choirs and very good ones, but, believe me when I say to you, that the choir at my church is not your typical choir. Our choir’s name is HARMONIA. They are the reason why I wanted to share this story with you all. Our church is big on giving, fellowship, community, sharing etc… Harmonia is composed of about 50 members, give or take a few. We have members who play instruments including our instructor, Mary Janus; we also have members from ages 6 all the way to 80. We welcome all who love to sing, clap and are willing to give one hour of practice, just before mass starts; that is all. One of the highlights of Harmonia is an event that is called “Harmonia Under The Stars”. This year, being our churches’ 50th Anniversary, our event was bigger than ever and it was named “CineMagic”, to give tribute to the movies. We are in Hollywood after all. All of us including my brother Robby got to participate in singing, dancing etc… It was a MAGICAL EVENING as the name says it. The unity of the community and the love we felt from all who attended, made all of us feel like true stars. I can’t stop thinking about it!!! If I may do so, I would like to thank my parents for the support they gave my brother and I throughout the two months of rehearsals, but, most of all to our instructor, MARY JANUS, for being who she is. Instructors like her are rare; she is full of passion, love and joy, not only for the music but for our number one team member, God. She injects us with all of who she is every day, through prayer, e-mails, practice and daily interaction.

Now, to my surprise, some of my fans posted this link on Youtube and I felt the need share it with you all and to also thank them for their support. I’m humbled and blessed to have fans/friends like them. This is one of the songs I sang at the “Harmonia Under The Stars, Cinemagic”. I hope you like it!!!!

Somewhere Over The Rainbow by Shelbie Bruce:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9l1ONsArGA

No comments: