Friday, July 4, 2008

World News

Betancourt reunited with family



Ingrid Betancourt has been reunited with her children - a day after being freed from more than six years of captivity in the Colombian jungle.

The French-Colombian politician was among 15 hostages rescued without a shot being fired as their rebel captors were tricked into handing them over.

Her children travelled to Bogota from France for the emotional reunion.

Ms Betancourt said she would now work tirelessly for the freedom of all hostages being held by Farc rebels.

"It is most important that every Colombian feels that we will free them - that our brothers in the jungle will return," she said.

The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, which has been waging a war of independence for the past four decades, still holds more than 40 high-profile hostages, among up to 700 other captives.

'Orgy of kisses'

A day after her release, Ms Betancourt raced up the steps of the aircraft to embrace her daughter, Melanie, and her son, Lorenzo Delloye-Betancourt, who had flown in from France.

She told reporters she was "so proud" of her children, who were 16 and 13 when she was seized.

"They fought a battle, they dug deep into their characters, from the depths of their souls and fought a very beautiful battle," she said.

She described the reunion as "an orgy of kisses".

"I don't know what I said to them. I think I cried... I told them that they would have to put up with me because I was going to stick to them like bubblegum and I was going to eat them up with kisses."

Her daughter said the reunion was "the toughest and most beautiful moment that my brother and I have lived through".

To read more go to: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7487989.stm

No comments: